Friday, April 21, 2006

Be Firm In Your Faith

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Daas was looking through some videos on youtube and came across this video of an interview of a young muslim girl. I do not agree with a word she is saying, but what really stood out to me in this interview is how firm she is in her beliefs at such a young age. Although I do not agree at all with what she is saying, I couldn’t help but be impressed by how she has been taught at such a young age to hold on to her beliefs so firmly.

I wish that Sikh parents would also teach their kids to be so firm in their beliefs and their religion. It would be so amazing to see Singh’s and Singhni’s being so confident in themselves that they can go out in to a crowd of people when asked, and say Guru Nanak’s path is the best path. Or I wear the 5 K’s, and my Kirpan over top, I am not ashamed, I am a Sikh and if anyone has a problem with my beliefs, I don’t really care because I am doing what is right and it doesn’t matter to me what you think.

I believe we can always look at ways to improve ourselves. In the general Islamic community the kids are taught to read from the Quran at a really young age, and they have a huge celebration the first time the child reads the Quran. Sikhs use to have a similar ‘ceremony’ (sanskar) when they completed a sehaaj path for the first time. With time we have lost this tradition, now youth today can’t even read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and if they can, most of them can’t understand what they are reading. Guru Sahib is the foundation of our lives, and the more we get away from this, the more problems we will have. Hopefully one day most of us can be so firm in our beliefs that even if someone questions us, we have no doubt about we are saying, and have no problem with standing up and saying what we stand for, no matter what others may think of us.

Anyways have a look at the video below.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh