Thursday, November 30, 2006

Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me

Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me.
Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.
Slander is my father, slander is my mother.
If I am slandered, I go to heaven;
the wealth of the Lord's Naam abides within my mind........
The slanderer is drowned, while I am carried across (sggs 339).

Bhagat Kabir Sahib had a jealous neighbour, whose only pastime was slandering (Nindaa) Kabir Sahib; day in and day out. One day this foolish man died. People thought that the news of this man's death might make Kabir Sahib very happy. To the contrary, when Kabir Sahib found out about it, he became very sad. His devotees naturally inquired as to why he was sad instead of being happy. Kabir Sahib said " the reason I feel sad, now as my slanderer is gone, who will wash my sins off and take upon himself". The Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS) declares that there are countless such slanderers (Nindak).